How to design your own Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS).
SMPS, as we all know stands for switch mode power supply. It is a circuit which gives constant DC Output in respect to the AC input voltage. It includes switching devices like MOSFETS and transistors which are generally applicable to high power ratings and fast switching.
In this article, you will learn how to create and design your own SMPS circuit. It is very flexible as it helps us to select whatever output we require.
- To design and implement SMPS circuit as per our need.
- Download and Install PI Expert Tool. For latest software check out this link: PI Expert Suite. This is a open source software which helps us to create and designs circuits.
- They will ask you to fill out the form before download. Fill it and they will send the download link via email.
After completing the download run the installation. Check out the below installation images.
- Now Open the PI Expert 10.
- Click New. The below dialog box will appear.
- We are going to create a 5V, 1A SMPS ciruit using this software. In the left side of the window select the TOPSwitch-HX Flyback. We are going to use this IC. Then Select ‘OK’. The below shown window will appear.
- Change the package to YN(TO-220) package. Its a through hole package. Now click next and you will come up with below dialog box.
- Select Single 230V as our input supply. I am selecting it as in India the mains AC supply is 230 V. Now click Next.
- Now select Output as per your requirements. For 5V, 1A. Select 5V voltage and 1A current.
- You will come up with solution filter window. Don’t make any changes and click next.
Now click optimize and wait for the process. If you come up with below error than select second icon- Auto Design. You will find at the top bar. Check 15th image below. Then click Yes and again it will optimize.
- Now you will see top 6 solutions. Click on any and you will get a circuit diagram schematics, PCB layout, Transformer and other component details. Check below images.
- You can implement this circuit in actual. They provide all the information about the components required.